Tragic Aaron Carter ‘died without a will’ leaving the state to decide who will inherit his assets including his $800,000 house which he had put on the market shortly before his deathSinger did not write a will, meaning California will decide who inherits estate
Sources say Carter was not in strong financial health at the time of his death
His $800,000 Lancaster house had been put up for sale but is now off market
Aaron Carter died without leaving a will meaning the state of California will decide who will inherit his assets, it has been revealed.
The 34-year-old, who passed away earlier this month, had been advised by his attorney to make a will, particularly after the birth of his 11-month-old son Prince.
The singer shared Prince with his on-again, off-again fiancée Melanie Martin, who started their rocky relationship in 2020.
The LA County Department of Children and Family Services were forced to get involved because of the domestic disputes between the tumultuous couple, and removed Prince from their home.
He has been living with Martin’s mother since September, reports TMZ.
The star had put his Lancaster home up for sale for around $800,000 in the weeks prior to his death but it has now been taken off the market
In California, the child normally inherits their single parent’s estate if they die without a will.
But sources said Carter was not in a strong financial position when he was found dead in his home on November 5.
If a sale goes ahead, Prince would likely have security in any equity it brings.
Last week, Martin was seen moving her stuff out of his home.
Since January 2020, Carter and Martin had a rocky relationship leading up to the birth of their son on November 22, 2021.
The singer told DailyMail.com in August that the two weren’t together and were done for good.
It’s unclear what the relationship status of the pair was leading up to Carter’s death was – but Martin released a statement and called him her ‘fiancée.’
The couple were on and off in their relationship. Carter had split from fiancée Martin just one week after they welcomed their first child together in 2021
Martin could be seen crying outside Carter’s California home after he was found dead
She wrote: ‘My fiancée Aaron Carter has passed away. I love Aaron with all my heart and it’s going to be a journey to raise a son without a father.
‘Please respect the privacy of my family as we come to terms with the loss of someone we love greatly.
‘We are still in the process of accepting this unfortunate reality. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated.’
Carter filed custody of their son and a petition for protection at the Antelope Valley Courthouse in Los Angeles County earlier this year.
At the time, he accused Martin of ’emotional distress, anguish, shoving, & scratching’, and claimed she used the threat of suicide to abuse him ’emotionally.’
One of the last people he texted was his manager Taylor Helgeson, telling him he was optimistic about the future and the release of his new music.
Helgeson recalled his final conversation with the I Want Candy singer the night before he died – and his thrill about the release of his new album he planned on recording in Los Angeles this month.
‘He was so excited, he was extremely optimistic,’ Helgeson told The US Sun. ‘It was a few years since we released Love, and he felt ready to do another one… it was the first time in a while that I’ve seen him so excited. He had more [to give], and he didn’t quit.’
Taylor Helgeson, Aaron Carter’s manager, revealed the singer last texted him on November 4 about his excitement to record his new album.
The night before Carter died, he had invited a friend to his home to begin recording for his new album – but the friend never made it
In one of Carter’s final messages to Helgeson on November 4, he had texted his manager to check in.
Helgeson said he asked the singer how he was doing. To which he responded: ‘I’m just headed back to the house. I was in L.A. All good though. Things are looking up.’
Carter later looked over the songs for his new album and added: ‘Holy s****! The new album, what the f***? This is definitely a Grammy!’
The manager responded: ‘Yeah, and you deserve it.’
‘Huge! Our best work yet,’ Carter last said at 6.32pm, Helgeson told The Sun.
Carter would later call Helgeson – but he was unable to answer because he was on a plane. The singer then called another friend and invited him over to his Lancaster home to begin recording vocals for the album.
‘From what I heard, that was around 9.30pm,’ Helgeson said. ‘But he never made it to the house.’
The singer was set to record his new album this month with Denmark producers.
Carter was set to record the album that he called Grammy material alongside producers from Denmark in Los Angeles this month
Carter began acting out of character leading up to his death, including missing important meetings
Helgeson said Carter felt as if he could handle all the issues in his life.
‘This album was going to be him owning everything,’ Helgeson said. ‘He was going to take accountability, and he felt that was going to be the best way to do it.’
‘He wouldn’t miss a show for anything if he could help it,’ Helgeson told the news outlet. ‘In the last few weeks, he missed some things, and that was so uncharacteristic of him, and I was upset.’
At the time, Helgeson presented Carter with an intense, custom-built rehab program as he began to fall off the wagon. He even confronted Carter when the star went on Instagram live stream and was seen ‘huffing.’
Carter previously admitted to having a huffing addiction but told Helgeson that it wasn’t real.
In a previous interview with DailyMail.com, his public relations aide Holly Davidson revealed the pop star wanted to resolve his children’s custody battle before he went to rehab.
‘I want to be better and I am trying to be better, but I cannot do it now,’ he told Davidson, of ITC PR.
‘He set his priorities as trying to deal with the courts over his son, the new music and life,’ the aide told DailyMail.com. ‘Then he wanted to go to rehab.’
Carter had been in a long-running custody battle with on-again/off-again girlfriend Melanie Martin, the mother of his 11-month-old son Prince.
The rehab plan was devised with addiction consultant Brenden Borrowman, co-founder of Utah drug treatment center ReBoot. According to its website, ReBoot uses ‘time-proven military behavioral science’ to develop self-worth and positive behavior.
Borrowman said that Aaron was ‘savable’. ‘I truly believe that,’ he previously told DailyMail.com.
Read more related articles at:
Also, read one of our previous Blogs here:
Click here to check out our On Demand Video about Estate Planning.
Click here for a short informative video from our own Attorney Bill O’Leary.